GSA bowled over by the generosity of institutions and individuals
The Glasgow School of Art has received almost a quarter of the books identified for priority replacement following the fire in the Mackintosh Building thanks to the huge generosity of private individuals and institutions the world over it was revealed today.
“In the 3-month period since the fire we have successfully replaced 22% of the volumes we identified as a priority because they were in high demand and used regularly by our students, staff and researchers,” says Duncan Chappell, Academic Liaison Librarian at the GSA. “We have been very touched by the generosity shown to us which is testament to the affection in which the Mackintosh Library was held by so many.”
Among the many books received are:
Agnes Miller Parker’s XXI Welsh gypsy folk-tales. Gregynog Press (1933) donated by Blackwells Rare Books. A sumptuous volume of folk-tales, illustrated with original wood engravings by Agnes Miller Parker and published by one of the most important British private press of the inter-war period. This limited edition (no. 216 of 250) has its original mustard bevel-edged sheepskin binding.
Agnes Miller Parker (1895–1980) was an engraver and illustrator. Born in Ayrshire, she spent most of her career in London and southern Britain, she studied at The Glasgow School of Art from 1911 to 1917, and later joined the staff of the School. Her early painted work displays the influence of Vorticism, but it is in printmaking that she made her name, becoming one of the most accomplished and admired printmakers in Britain.
Ver Sacrum 1898-1903 published by Gerlach & Schenk
‘Sacred Spring’ was the official magazine of the Vienna Secession. It was hugely influential in the popularising of Art Nouveau across Europe, featuring drawings and designs in the Jugendstil style by artists such as Josef Hoffmann, Gustav Klimt and and Koloman Moser, along with literary contributions from distinguished writers. (Donor – anon)
Art Workers’ Quarterly. 1902-1906 published Chapman & Hall, which has been donated by the Architecture Librarian Group.
This influential early twentieth century journal did much to popularise the Arts and Crafts movement and the work of William Morris, Walter Crane and C. R. Ashbee. It was founded "to supply designs in a readily applicable form to those who do not invent, plan, or adapt ornament, and who find difficulty in obtaining good and suitable suggestions for their work."
The rebuilding of the collections could take many years, but the GSA intends to pursue a targeted rebuild, reflecting both the illustrious history and future direction of the institution.
0779 941 4474
Note for Editors
Institutional Donors to Date
Architecture Librarians Group
Art Gallery of New South Wales
Blackwells Rare Books
Clark Art Institute
Cranfield University Library
Janette Ray Rare Books
Massachusetts College of Art and Design
National Association of Decorative and Fine Arts Societies
National Library of Scotland
Norwich University of the Arts
Portland Art Museum
Royal Botanic Gardens of Edinburgh
University College London
University of Chichester
University of Cumbria
University of Glasgow
University of Manchester, John Rylands Library
University of St Andrews
University of Strathclyde
University of Texas
University of Wolverhampton
University of the Creative Arts
Virginia Museum of the Fine Arts